Throughout the next year, and until the implementation of the New Translation of the Roman Missal, The Authentic Update will focus on issues surrounding the New Translation and developments in Sacred Music arising from it. I hope you will visit here frequently and join in the conversation as the Church enters into this remarkable period of liturgical transformation.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Change of a Different Sort...

As I have now informed everyone who needs to know (my Pastor, close associates, etc...), I can announce for those who know me less formally that I will be resigning my current post to accept a position "up north".

OK...it's only a few miles "up north" from where I am now, and it's still in the same city.

And even though the organ is a digital instrument...



It is a vast...vast...vast improvement over that which I have played on for the last 5 years..a 1979 Baldwin 632...



Don't get me wrong...it's a charming instrument, but there comes a point in time. The one pictured there isn't mine by the way...mine is down in a pit beside the altar, and to it's credit, it is a three manual version rather than the two-manual pictured above. Strangely enough, the two and three manual versions have the exact same stops. Go figure.

And the organ and the choir are up in a choir loft...yes, a modern church designed with a functional and well-designed CHOIR LOFT. I have had dreams of such a thing since my first "position" (I was in High School and played for the early Mass on Sunday) at St. Mary's Church in Holliston, MA...a classic 18th Century structure with a beautiful Hook and Hastings up in the loft. Since then, I have been "up front"...but no longer.

The Pastor and associate are looking forward to implementing the new Missal Chant settings, and also to starting use of the Simple English Propers for the Introit and Communion antiphons. I feel so fortunate that not only do such places exist, but they are close enough that I don't even have to move...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have they announced who will be replacing you at Incarnation?

Chironomo said...

Nope...it may take a while though.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Why do you say that? Not too many music people in that neck of the woods?

Anonymous said...

How is your new Church?

Anonymous said...

From a different anonymous - I thought we'd hear a bit more from you about how the transition process was going, what the new choirs are like, if you miss your old Church etc...?